Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Porter's Baptism Day

Porter, Carly and Andrea...the newest members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!

Porter, Andrea, and Carly with their dads before their baptism.


Scott, Porter and me.

Porter was baptized on Saturday afternoon with his cousin Carly and his Primary friend, Andrea. It was a beautiful , sunny Texas November day which made it even better. As I took a picture of the three of them outside the church, all dressed in white, I thought about how pure and innocent they looked, ready to take the next step in following the example of our Savior. I thought about the challenges and blessings that lie ahead for them and said a silent prayer that they will be valiant and strong. I felt a sense of gratitude for those who waited inside to support and witness their commitment to become members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am grateful to those who have supported us as parents in helping them have a desire to make this covenant and I am grateful (in advance) for the numberless others who will teach them, encourage them, love and support them and be an example to them as they grow up in the church.

Later I took a picture of Porter, Carly and Andrea with their Dads...all worthy priesthood holders who would perform the sacred ordinance of baptism and later give them the precious gift of the Holy Ghost. I am in awe of the priesthood...the very same power that the Savior used to perform miracles everyday...given to men on the earth today. So cool!

Carly chose "A Child's Prayer" for the opening song. Good choice Carly! Aunt Julie gave a great talk on baptism using Cheez Whiz and paper towels which represented baptism and another to represent taking the sacrament each week. Rinda Phillips (aka Sister Friendly) gave a talk on the Holy Ghost and compared it to turning on a radio and getting the reception just right. Andrea chose "Keep the Commandments" for the closing song and my prayer for them is that they do just that!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oh congrats Porter! That is wonderful. It is such a good feeling to see your husband and child together in white.

David and Janalee said...

Yay for Lori blogging and Congrats to Porter- I can't believe he is 8 already! Lisa told me about your blog this morning so as soon as I got the princess down for a nap (ahh the peace and quiet of no dress up shoes click clacking on my floor)I jumped on to visit! Good Job Lori!
So happy to be able to keep up with my favorite freind from Texas.
Janalee

Melissa said...

You're sneaking behind my back and totally keeping up a blog. Way to go! Nice thoughts on the baptism. You always have a great way of expressing your feelings.