Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Chance to Serve in Galveston

My brother Mark went with us to help. He was the expert at measuring where to cut the sheet rock. It was fun having him work with us for the day.
As we drove in to Galveston, it was really weird to see boats laying on their sides along the main roads of the city.




At our second stop we helped four different families. At the first house we moved all their appliances out to the street. I have a great stinky fridge story to tell! At two other houses we cut sheet rock above the water line. Scott did a great job on the baseboards and I helped pull away sheet rock.






Sacrament meeting was held outside of the Galveston building at 8:30 before we received our work assignments for the day. It was quite an inspiring sight...all of us in yellow helping hands shirts. There had been another group of the same size that had sacrament meeting at 7:30!




The first house we went to was near a bayou and had had five feet of water in the house. We basically just shoveled the contents of the house into wheelbarrows and trash cans and dumped it out on the front yard for collection by trash crews.
This post is not organized how I had hoped, but I am learning! Brooklynn was willing to teach me how to add photos to my blog tonight. Next tutorial will be how to get the photos in the order I would like. I would have liked the boat photo first, sacrament meeting second, trash in street third and photos of me, Scott and Mark last...in order of how our day took place...oh well.
What an amazing, exhausting and very smelly day! I can't stop thinking about what the people in Galveston are waking up to each day...it was overwhelming to see the amount of work needed to restore the island. We were able to help some really amazing people. They even called us angels! I know our stake is already organizing work crews to go to Port Arthur, TX for work assignments on both Saturday and Sunday this week. There is much to be done.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done with the pictures! It was good to see all the work that was done - we missed everybody at church last Sunday. I hear we're gearing up to hit the road again this weekend. Are you up for another round of Name That Stinky Smell? :)

Elizabeth said...

WOW! That is a great sight to see all those people there to help at sacrament meeting. That is awesome that you and Scott were able to go help. I want to hear your fridge sotry too.